Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lap Band, Episode Whatever: The Fight For Removal

I have come to a decision.

I am having my lap band removed.

It sounds so easy on paper (computer), but I know it is going to be a big battle with my surgeon and his assistant.

But I can't do this anymore.  For the past three days, I have been in a constant state of fear and panic, Googling every bit of information I could about the long term risks of a lap band.  What I found was not pretty at all.  I joined a lap band failure group and the personal stories are terrifying, but they further my resolve to have this thing taken out.

I know I'm in for a battle.  Several battles, actually.  The first will be getting the surgeon to remove it and dealing with the physician's assistant.  I'm gearing up for battle and just repeating to myself: "This is MY body, MY health, MY peace of mind, so someone is going to remove this thing."  I'm not going to let two people who have already made quite a bit of money on all of the revisions they've had to do talk me out of it.

The other battle will be with paying for it.  Since we are in between insurances right now, and one does not cover bariatric anything, I may wind up paying for this out of pocket.  The different prices I've found for removal run as high as $20,000.  This is a terrible burden to put on my family, but it is an even worse burden to have a wife and mother not be there mentally because of all the stress about her health.

I'm not going into this decision lightly.  I'm essentially gambling with my health no matter which way I go.  Keep it, and I'm driving myself insane.  Take it out and I'll probably regain the weight.  At this point, the latter is more appealing.

I wish I had known the failure rate when I had this thing placed.  I wish I had researched it more.  I wish I had the willpower to do it on my own so I wouldn't be having to deal with this now.  Yet here I am.

All I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment